Mascarpone cheese is the simplest cheese to make, but it’s not in the least bit cheesy. It’s more like a thick slightly sour cream.
It’s perfect for cheesecakes, scones and cakes but equally good in savoury dishes.
Mascarpone, is it really cheese?
- 500 ml double cream
- 1 lemon
- 30g dried milk powder
- Put the cream and milk powder in to a pan and mix well.
- Heat the mix to 82 degrees C.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon
- Remove the cream from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, making sure it is very well combined.
- Leave to cool.
- Refrigerate overnight where it will thicken.
- Next day spoon into a sieve lined with muslin and drain.
- Twist to squeeze out excess moisture and use.
- Keep refrigerated.